Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Sunday Night Live: Sketch in the City

Time for a little back story. You may know I sunlight (that would be the opposite of moonlighting, because you have to do it during the day) in advertising. When I began to work as a copywriter, presentation skills became critical to my job. One problem: presenting--any type of public speaking in general, actually--terrified me.

So, I did what any normal person would do.
I decided to take improv classes.
No? Not so normal?
I figured if I could bomb in front of an audience doing comedy, presentations would be cake. (It worked. Now they are.)

I loved improv. It changed my life. My Second City grad teacher, Kim McGaw, was a friend and an inspiration. As I began creating characters, I found myself writing back stories. I got good at playing the straight man. And my fellow improv'ers began to ask if I'd considered acting.

That's it. That's all it took. I started auditioning for community theater. (Also terrifying.) I got a part. I moved to Austin. I began taking Meisner classes. I began working in films. I kept working in films. I stopped working live. Until now.

Brent Foshee, a really talented comedian/improv'er/writer I worked with in Joe Nicolosi's Midnight Bumper knew I used to do improv. He had joined up with some of Austin's best--Bobby DiPasquale, Daniel Sawtelle, Scott Moss and Elizabeth Bigger--to create The Austin Comedy Hour and its first show--Sketch in the City. He invited me to join them. I agreed (and was terrified).

We've had two shows. We have one more to go. It's amazing. It's scary. It's fun. It's invigorating. It's great to be back on stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment