Sunday, March 10, 2013

SXSW: The Last 24 Hours

 How much awesome can we pack into 24 hours? Quite a lot. Let's start with the Midnight Shorts premiere--lots of freaky, freaky stuff made its way to the screen. So freaky, that I'm still thinking about them and glad to get the chance to see them all again on Thursday night.

Nice to see other Texans' works onscreen--Owen Egerton's Follow was quite a departure from other projects I've seen from him--what a talent! And Joe Nicolosi did it again--great audience reactions for Hell No. Plus, there was a lot of talk about assholes. Literally. And because my descriptions will not do the range justice, I can only recommend that you go see for yourself.

That brings us today. For three SXSW's I have, for one reason or another, missed the chance to see Jeffrey Tambor's acting workshop. Year four was finally my time. And it was well worth the wait. I had a visceral response to what he was doing. Elevated heartbeat, leaning forward in my chair, eyes tearing up, willing the action on-on with everything I could throw at it from my seat. I slid him my card. And made a pledge to figure out how to get the opportunity to learn from that man. He is insightful and kind and generous with his gifts. Good man. Great teacher.

Rest of the day included a free box of fortune cookies, interesting conversations, and a wasted hour at the Long Center. (Sorry Jash. If you're going to take an hour of our time for a commercial, why don't you make it not suck?) Ughh. No patience for that kind of coasting when there's so much good around! My fault--should have known better.

I really want to see the Bates Motel event tomorrow morning and will start movie watching in earnest in the afternoon. Yessssssssss.


No comments:

Post a Comment