Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Coming Soon: The Spider in the Bathtub

Awww, you guys. One of the highlights of SXSW for me this year was finding a really fun, funny and informed movie watching partner. In a serendipitous moment, I left the Texas shorts screening early (sorry guys), to make sure I would be in line in time to see Barry Munday. Directly behind me was Chris Mass, writer and actor in Chalk and all around hi-larious guy.

Well, Mr. Mass recently worked on a new feature film script with Kat Candler, and man, did they do a great job. I'm not going to lie, when I heard it was 'family-friendly', I groaned a little inside, but I should have known better.

The script had heart; it was genuine and funny and engaging. And the actors involved in the script reading were amazing! Arthur Dale as Turtle was so sweet and endearing. Nick Walker as Bojo--funny!!! Blake Smith (look for him in Esther's Follies) as Pittman was goofy and charming. Kyle Coward as Harry and Jasmine Skloss as Maddy did a great job as the siblings at the heart of the story. Dana Wheeler-Nicholson was fragile and funny and unhinged as the coping mom, and John Merriman did the hardest job--"Narrator/Misc Roles" with aplomb. Great graphics and sound effects from the supporting crew. Lots of fun for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment