Friday, June 4, 2010

Learning experiences

Currently living by Sandra Bullock's mom's quote--if you want to be an artist, you have to practice every day. Here's where it gets hard. Disappointment about the feature is still at the surface. But disappointment lets me know I'm still engaged. It's good. To mis-quote someone else, Randy Pausch, this is one of those brick walls that gives you the chance to prove how much you want something.

I went on another audition last week. Declined the part. Another important step--choosing what will further me, not just saying yes, yes, yes. Met some more really great people, so all was good.

I think all of us have a little of that starshine in our eyes--the thoughts of premieres and autographs and movie stars. But, even if you're insanely talented and lucky, that'll be the smallest fraction of your time. The rest of the time will be you by yourself working. You with other actors working. You in 'normal life' trying to make your relationships work and pay your bills and make a difference that's more substantial than what you do for your day job. Basically it will be your version of the life and challenges that every blessed person in the US faces--ie, you're not in a fight for your survival every day, you have the luxury to fight for contentment.

So. I'm working on my relationships. I'm paying my bills. I'm trying to relax every now and then. And I'm stretching, so I can play a contortionist at the end of July. That's my normal life, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment