Saturday, October 25, 2014

Texas Book Festival Highlights

Besides a giant shopping cart beneath a beautiful Texas sky? There were a ton of highlights--starting out with seeing so many friends with such inspiring successes among this tight, supportive community of Texas writers. Like the added benefit of welcoming fellow word-lovers from all over the US and world, for one. And the fact that we can still throw down summer days in late October. BOOM!

I began the day with the most gorgeous sitar concert at the Grandfather Gandhi panel with Arun Gandhi and Bethany Hegedus. I closed my eyes to listen to the music and so unexpectedly found myself crying. It was beautiful.

From there, I hit the #WeNeedDiverseBookPanel because WE DO and had the honor of hearing from an entire panel of writers, including Jacqueline Woodson. I'm late to the party, but I just started reading her picture books, and I love her voice. It was great to hear it in person. (Watch out for her Brown Girl Dreaming--a National Book Award finalist.)

I caught a magic panel with dear friend Nikki Loftin--author of The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy and Nightingale's Nest, got acquainted with Annie Brown and was exposed to the charming, fresh voice of Natalie Lloyd.

After getting a few books signed by Andrea Beaty, (if you haven't read Happy Birthday to Madame Chapeau or Rosie Revere, Engineer--start reading...), I visited with Nikki and the self-deprecating Brian Floca--Caldecott Winner for Locomotive--before forcing my sweaty self through the tents one more time before heading home.

I ended up buying three books, acquiring five more (Thank you Penguin!) and having just the best time. It's definitely one of those "I am so lucky to live in Austin" kind of days. And they're doing it all again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment