Saturday, August 14, 2010

Orbit!

Goodness, it's been a busy few weeks! The weekend after I got back from LA, it was time to hit the set of Orbit--a film directed and written by Jessica Dorfman, a UT grad student. Orbit is her thesis film--a coming of age story about a 13-year-old girl who begins to learn tough lessons about love, loss and growing up while attending her father's wedding to his new wife.

It's been a really cool experience--the wedding in the film is a Jewish wedding, so we've learned all about Jewish traditions in the process of researching and filming. I even learned a little Hebrew for the ceremony! It's been 100 degrees plus for the entire 11 days, and the extras have been amazing--cheerfully dressing up for a wedding every day, day after day, and then sweating through their finery. We've been filming at the Umlauf Sculpture Garden, which is a gorgeous setting for a wedding--they've been so kind and welcoming to us. Really amazing.

Our last day is tomorrow--one more chance to dance the hora, enjoy seriously the best craft services ever (let me know if you need a contact in Austin--this guy is a rock star...) and spend the day with cast and crew. I'm already feeling that bittersweet feeling...

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! Ben Kullerd here - the caterer from Orbit.

    I just stumbled across your page trying to find more info about Jessie after I saw that she won Best Director at the SoCal Film Festival for Orbit and saw your kind words about the craft services during last summer's shoot! I'm glad Google brought me to you!

    ReplyDelete